Hi. This is Lotchi. A dental messenger from Have A Dental Clinic. I want to start an educative series on dental care and oral hygiene. And I hope this will be of many benefits to you and your family members.
In this episode, I will start with some useful tips that can help you look after your teeth. Good oral hygiene and regular visits to the dentist will help you maintain healthy teeth and gums.
Are you ready?. Let’s get started.
The following 9 tips will help you look after your teeth.
1. Brush at least twice a day. The best time to brush teeth is after meals. Choose a toothbrush with a small head for better access to back teeth. Soft bristles are kinder on your gums.
2. Use fluoridated toothpaste. Fluoride helps to harden tooth enamel and reduces your risk of decay.
3. Brush thoroughly. Tooth brushing should take between two and three minutes.
4. Floss your teeth daily. Use a slow and gentle sawing motion.
5. Limit acidic drinks like soft drinks, cordials and fruit juices. Food acids soften tooth material and dissolve the minerals in tooth enamel, causing holes (cavities or caries).
6. Limit sugary foods. Bacteria in dental plaque change sugars into acids.
7. Protect your teeth from injury. Wear a mouthguard or full-face helmet when playing sports.
8. Avoid using your teeth for anything other than chewing food. If you use them to crack nuts, remove bottle tops or rip open packaging, you risk chipping or even breaking your teeth.
9. See your dentist for regular check-ups. You should also visit your dentist if you have a dental problem such as a toothache or bleeding gums.
Thank you for your time. I will see you again in the next episode.